Rupert our Wellbeing Dog
We are excited to introduce a Wellbeing Dog program as part of our whole school wellbeing initiative. Our school Wellbeing Dog (Rupert) will become a much loved and important member of our community.
The Wellbeing Dog will work at Immanuel Primary School to support students with social and emotional learning needs. For example, an individual might be encouraged to gently pat or talk to the dog to teach sensitive touch and help them be calm. All students will have the opportunity to interact with the dog at different times if they wish to.
Research into the effects of wellbeing dogs in schools is showing a range of benefits including:
- Increase in school attendance
- Gains in confidence
- Decrease in learner anxiety behaviours resulting in improved learning outcomes
- Increase in understanding of responsibility
- Increase in developing empathy and nurturing skills
- Positive changes towards learning and improved motivation, and
- Enhanced relationships with peers and teachers due to experiencing trust and unconditional love from a Wellbeing Dog. This in turn helps students learn how to express their feelings and enter into more trusting relationships.