Enrolment Policy for student applicant
Who can enrol at Immanuel Primary School
Immanuel Primary School is a co-educational and accredited International Baccalaureate primary school of the Lutheran Church of Australia. Immanuel Primary School offers quality Christian education to all students regardless of ethnic origin, gender, religion, ability or disability provided that
- Parents seeking enrolment for their child undertake to freely support the stated mission, vision, values and policies of the school; and
- adequate space and resources are available to meet the needs of the student. When applying, parents are required to disclose any information relevant to determining the provision of appropriate educational curriculum and / or suitability of their child for enrolment.
Applications will be considered using the following criteria:
- The number of positions available at the appropriate year level
- Siblings of currently enrolled students.
- Children of families where the parents and / or children are active members of a congregation of the Lutheran Church of Australia.
- The date of receipt of the application.
- Children of old scholars subject to availability.
- Special circumstances as deemed the Principal.
In line with current Australian Government guidelines, Immanuel Primary School adopts a one intake per year policy for Reception children. This results in a child who turns 5 years of age on or before the 30th April being considered for enrolment in Term 1 of the same year. Children who turn 5 years of age in May or beyond are considered for enrolment in Term 1 of the following year. The school believes that for most children it is important for them to be ready for the rigours of Reception and usually it is better for the child to be older rather than younger. There are five dimensions of children’s readiness for school:
- Physical wellbeing and motor development.
- Social and emotional development.
- Cognition and general knowledge.
- Approaches to learning.
- Language development.
All of the above are taken into consideration before accepting a child for enrolment. Students beginning the Reception year will preferably have accessed twelve months at the Immanuel Early Learning Centre (ELC) or a similar kindergarten program.
The ELC has been created as an educational centre for young children. While Reception remains the main point of entry to the school, many parents decide after acceptance to Reception to then enrol at the ELC. Parents of younger children have found that a year in the ELC prepares their child to be more confident in starting the challenges of the Reception year. Entry into the ELC is offered as part of the enrolment process.